Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Scarlet letter

So back to the last time I saw my kidney doctor (yes, I realize that was in December, and it is now February ... so what?)

So, I have a bunch of little stones that should pass on their own.  Good that they are small, bad because they still have to pass, which hurts no matter how small they are.

I had asked the kidney doctor for a refill of Percoset, so that when I had pain from passing said kidney stones I would not have to go to the ER and pay a $150 copay and most likely be exposed to unnecessary CT Scan radiation.  

This is what he tells me:  "I was going to write a refill for you but I see that you had a prescription written in October for Percoset from another doctor.  The OARRS system would not let me write you a prescription, and I won't be able to for 6 months now".

And then it hit me ... Dr. Brad (my family doctor) had written me a script for 15 (15!) 5mg Percosets, because I was not due to see the kidney guy until the end of the year.  I still had some left, and so I brought the bottle out of my purse and explained that my family doctor had given me a script for rescue pain relief until I saw him.  That he had written it for only 15 pills and I still had many left.

Kidney doctor was not impressed that I had evidence of me not being a drug addict and/or dealer.  He again stated that it had flagged me and he would not be able to write a prescription for 6 months.  At this point I started to lose my shit, because I saw that this was going to end poorly.  

So, I asked him, if I ask my family doctor for a script in a couple months because I am out and you can't write one for 6 months ... does that mean that you can't write it for 6 months from the original date in October or I start a new 6 month cycle?

Here's the thing:  I have never asked for pain meds early, or asked for pain meds when I did not have a current  x-ray/CT scan without plain evidence of stones.  I have the utmost respect for opiate painkillers and their addictive properties.  I don't abuse them because I know that I will be in pain, and I want for them to work.  

But apparently I now have a scarlet letter attached to my name in the eyes of the State of Ohio.

No comments:

Post a Comment