Thursday, April 2, 2009

Parting of the Sensory

My girl is sick.

For two days she had moments of panic, like something was hurting her. The vet suspected anxiety and gave us medicine to calm her. Yesterday after we got home and gave her the medicine she had a grand mal seizure on the back patio.

It was by far one of the worst things I have ever seen. My heart was breaking for her during, and now, a day after, I feel so sad for her.

Back to the vet a second time last night, and the vet now believes that the episodes of panic and disorientation were precursors to the grand mal seizure and that she may have been seeing things as an aura.

We had a very long and stressful night, watching her closely for any signs of distress - trying to calm her into a healing sleep.

I asked my vet yesterday: Is it possible that I have a dog with Addison's Disease and a dog with Epilepsy?

He just smiled and shook his head yes.

I feel broken, and maybe I shouldn't feel that way. But I love them so much. They have been a constant source of comfort and enjoyment for J and I.

We will continue to do everything we can to make sure that they receive the same from us.

Post Seizure Lola waiting in the exam room at the vet ... possibly trying to will me to get myself together.

1 comment:

  1. Awww...she's so cute. The look on her face looks like she's apologizing to you saying 'I'm sorry'.

    ReplyDelete